Sunday, February 17, 2008

Best V-Day Ever


This Valentine's Day was already primed to be a solid improvement over last year. Mainly because I actually had a date this time around. Even better, we were going to a Colorado Avalanche game. Little did I know that it would turn out to be even more amazing than I could have ever imagined.
As Kate and I walked up the escalator inside the Pepsi Center, an official looking guy approached us. I thought he was trying to sell something so I was all set to ignore him, but before I knew it, he asked us if we wanted to participate in a contest at intermission... Heck yes! It turns out that we were going to be doing a trike race on the ice during the second intermission. Sweet! It was going to be a relay and we were competing against two other couples (of course, it is Valentines Day).
So, after anxiously sitting through the first and second periods, we headed down to get set up for the race. The trikes were pretty sweet. Quite big and bury with large tires. I imagine that nothing else would do on the ice. We put on some hockey helmets and Avs jerseys and went out on the ice.
It's quite surprising how rough the ice gets during 20 minutes of play — really easy to walk on in fact. It was also really impressive seeing the players at that level. Those dudes are huge!
Back to the race. Kate was doing the first leg. She had a pretty good start but got stuck behind the girl in first. The transition area behind the goal was really tight so we were still behind when I set out to chase down first. Unfortunately, I couldn't make up the gap and we ended up second. We thought we could win, given our collective training and experience, but that just proves that you can't take anything for granted! It was so sweet to be down on the ice that I watch my favorite team play on every week. The only bummer was that we couldn't keep the jerseys!

No comments: